Our Knowledge Base includes technical advice, articles, and route descriptions to help further your mountain knowledge. We are experts in mountain activities, with years of experience, and an extensive knowledge of playing and working in the New Zealand mountains as well as overseas.
Visit our Downloads page for resourses for our winter and summer courses.
Technical Advice, Articles, and Route Descriptions
- Gear AdviceA full range of conditions and temperatures can be expected in the New Zealand mountains over the summer. Here’s advice on choosing gear and clothing from the early season classic snow and ice climbs to the mid to late season alpine rock scrambling and climbing.
- Vertical Mid-clip SnowstakesSnowstakes are most commonly used in the heavily glaciated New Zealand mountains to build anchors. The vertical mid-clip is most useful for a range of snow conditions.
- Ski and Splitboard Touring Equipment AdviceSki and splitboard touring equipment has improved very quickly in recent years and has made it much more affordable, comfortable, and fun to get out touring.
- Ski Mountaineering SkillsSki and snowboard mountaineering combines the skills of both touring and mountaineering, and therefore requires a range of technical skills and knowledge.
- Avalanche Skills for MountaineersStatistics suggest that mountaineers are over representing in the fatal avalanches in NZ. What are the practical reasons for this and what can we do about it.
- Mount MadelineMount Madeline, the second highest peak in the Darrans, isan excellent mid to later summer mountaineering adventure.
- How to get into Ski Touring?Our range of backcountry ski and splitboard touring courses cater for all levels of experience and aspirations. Try and choose the one that is right for where you are at.
- Preparation for Ice Climbing in New ZealandIce climbing venues, hazards and gear consideration for ice climbing in New Zealand.
- Glacier Ski Touring Crevasse RescueCrevasse rescue techniques for glacier ski and split-board touring including building snow anchors and hauling.
- Glacier Ski Touring SkillsEssential skills for glacier ski and split-board touring including identify hazards, navigating glaciers and roping up.
- Mitre Peak ClimbIconic Mitre Peak rising out from Milford Sound is a classic summer scramble with jaw dropping expose down to the fiord below.
- Mount SeftonMount Sefton is a classic 3000m peak with a long and remote access from the West Coast via the Copland Valley.
- MacPherson Talbot TraverseA classic alpine crossing from Homer Saddle to the Gertrude Valley.
- Mount BrewsterMount Brewster (2515m) provides an alpine ascent that can be accomplished in a few days.
- Mount EarnslawMount Earnslaw is the highest peak of the Whakatipu basin and a classic ascent for ambitious trampers.